***Important Update! 04/19/21***
View Message Below
"GO NOW TO MY PLACE THAT WAS IN SHILOH, WHERE I MADE MY NAME DWELL..." Jeremiah 7:12
The Shiloh Excavation is one of ABR’s most important research projects. The Tabernacle stood at Shiloh for 300 years, where the people of Israel gathered to worship. This is where the Ark of the Covenant resided! We have a number of core goals for the Shiloh dig:
- Investigate the location of the biblical tabernacle and any associated structures.
- Uncover evidence of the biblical sacrificial system.
- Understand daily life in Israel at the time of the Conquest and the period of the Judges.
- Introduce the new technologies of wet-sifting and computerization in the field.
- Equip students and volunteers with the knowledge and skills needed to scientifically excavate in the Land of the Bible.
- Build on the regional understanding of life in the Highlands of Israel gained by ABR's previous excavations at Khirbet Nisya (1979-2002) and Khirbet el-Maqatir (1995-2016).
Letter to Dig Team
Hi ABR Dig Team and Volunteers,
Last week Israel released updated guidelines for travel this summer. Beginning May 23rd, groups comprised of fully vaccinated people will be allowed to enter the country. Negative COVID-19 tests must be taken before departure and after entry. No quarantine is required. These rigid guidelines may be relaxed by the time the excavation launches in July. Due to the uncertainties, we recommend that you purchase your tickets with flight cancellation insurance. We are expecting that pre and post dig tours and five weeks of excavation will occur as planned, but only God knows for sure.
Here is the schedule:
Pre-dig tour - Sunday June 27 to Saturday July 3 (check in Sat June 26th PM & check out Sun July 4th AM)
Sunday, July 4 - Set up the dig day
(all dig weeks check in Sunday PM, check out Saturday AM)
Week 1 - July 5–10
Week 2 - July 12–17
Week 3 - July 19–24
Week 4 - July 26–31
Week 5 - August 2–6 (Restoration Week)
Post-dig tour - Sunday Aug 1 to Sunday Aug 8 (check in Sat July 31st PM & check out Mon Aug 9th AM)
We are on the verge of important discoveries at Shiloh. Please pray for wisdom as we navigate through the coming weeks and months. I am planning to be in Israel for two weeks in May to take care of several pressing dig matters and will update you upon my return (assuming I gain entry).
Digging the Bible!
Scott Stripling, PhD
ABR Director of Excavations
People who are currently signed up should contact the office to establish their new dates, shift their monies to 2022 or get a refund.
June 27, 2021 - August 7, 2021