***NEW Spring Dig 2022 Info! 01/03/22*** View Message Below
"GO NOW TO MY PLACE THAT WAS IN SHILOH, WHERE I MADE MY NAME DWELL..." Jeremiah 7:12
The Shiloh Excavation is one of ABR’s most important research projects. The Tabernacle stood at Shiloh for 300 years, where the people of Israel gathered to worship. This is where the Ark of the Covenant resided! We have a number of core goals for the Shiloh dig:
Investigate the location of the biblical tabernacle and any associated structures.
Uncover evidence of the biblical sacrificial system.
Understand daily life in Israel at the time of the Conquest and the period of the Judges.
Introduce the new technologies of wet-sifting and computerization in the field.
Equip students and volunteers with the knowledge and skills needed to scientifically excavate in the Land of the Bible.
Build on the regional understanding of life in the Highlands of Israel gained by ABR's previous excavations at Khirbet Nisya (1979-2002) and Khirbet el-Maqatir (1995-2016).
SHILOH SPRING DIG 2022
May-June 2022 Shiloh Excavation Dates. More details and registration forms are available here.
Pre-Dig Tour: check in Sat 5/14, tour Sun 5/15 AM to Sat 5/21 AM check out Set Up Day: Sunday 5/22 Week One Excavation: 5/23 to 5/27 OFF DAY: 5/28 Weekend Tour: 5/29 (optional, pay in cash in Israel, not part of pricing) Week Two Excavation: 5/30 to 6/3 OFF DAY: 6/4 Weekend Tour: 6/5 (optional, pay in cash in Israel, not part of pricing) Week Three Excavation: 6/6 to 6/10 OFF DAY: 6/11 Weekend Tour: 6/12 (optional, pay in cash in Israel, not part of pricing) Week Four Excavation: 6/13 to 6/17 OFF DAY: 6/18 Post-Dig Tour: check in Sat 6/18, tour Sun 6/19 to Mon 6/27 AM check out Week Five Restoration: 6/20 to 6/24 AM check out
The spring 2022 Shiloh registration is underway! We are looking for those who wish to join us as volunteer participants (no experience needed!) in what is likely to be a historic season of digging at ancient Shiloh. Each year ABR also offers Pre-dig and Post-dig Tours of important sites in Israel let by our ABR professional dig staff that you will not want to miss. The tours are open to everyone interested, whether you are a digger during our excavations at Shiloh or not. So the opportunity to tour is open to all!
The Shiloh Spring Excavation will be conducted for 5 weeks with the first four weeks designated for digging and the fifth week is for restoration. - Participants may choose to join for one, two, three, four, or all five weeks from Sunday [3 PM check in time] to the following Saturday [AM check out time].
Pre & Post-Dig Tours are also available before and after the dates of the Shiloh dig excavations for any interested person as well as offered at reduced prices for any dig participant. - Tour includes 3 meals, park entrance fees, bus driver tip, bus transport, and hotel. - Tourists will stay at the Ritz-Hotel, Jerusalem. Itinerary is subject to change without notice. - Possible tour sites MAY include: Caesarea, Cana, Nazareth, Megiddo, Capernaum, Bethsaida, Beth Shean, Jericho, Qumran, Bethlehem, Elah Valley, City of David, Hezekiah's Tunnel, Israel Museum, Masada, Ein Gedi, Dead Sea, Western Wall, Temple Mount, Old City, and Holy Sepulcher.
Pre-Dig Tour: check in Sat 5/14, tour Sun 5/15 AM to Sat 5/21 AM check out Set Up Day: Sunday 5/22 Week One Excavation: 5/23 to 5/27 OFF DAY: 5/28 Weekend Tour: 5/29 (optional, pay in cash in Israel, not part of pricing) Week Two Excavation: 5/30 to 6/3 OFF DAY: 6/4 Weekend Tour: 6/5 (optional, pay in cash in Israel, not part of pricing) Week Three Excavation: 6/6 to 6/10 OFF DAY: 6/11 Weekend Tour: 6/12 (optional, pay in cash in Israel, not part of pricing) Week Four Excavation: 6/13 to 6/17 OFF DAY: 6/18 Post-Dig Tour: check in Sat 6/18, tour Sun 6/19 to Mon 6/27 AM check out Week Five Restoration: Mon 6/20 to Fri 6/24 AM check out
ONLINE REGISTRATION There are multiple steps involved. All steps must be completed!
1. Click Here to fill out registration form: https://forms.gle/bMsrVFSvh5VFhFeb6 (off-site link) A confirmation letter and registration packet will be emailed to you after receipt of your deposit, including extensive information on traveling, safety, further study, touring, lectures, etc.
2. Download and complete the Liability Release form Make sure to intial and complete all witness signatures required. Minors must have a guardian signature as well. This form must be scanned and emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org OR mailed to the ABR office: Associates for Biblical Research / PO Box 144 / Akron, PA 17501
3. Submit $500 deposit per individual via check or card. (deposit due ASAP, final payments are due April 17, 2022 ) Help ABR save on Credit Card bank fees by paying by check, if you are able. Mail check to the ABR office: Associates for Biblical Research / PO Box 144 / Akron, PA 17501
In the ONE TIME GIFT field, click on OTHER and enter the proper dollar amont.
Then, under SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS type PAYMENT FOR SHILOH DIG SPRING 2022
Fill out the rest of the form. You will make your payment through PayPal. ***You do not need a PayPal account. You can use your Credit Card through PayPal as a guest.
4. Meet the Dig Team on Facebook! (optional) Join the Shiloh facebook page right now to interact with others who are also going to Shiloh! A great place to tag yourself and easily share photos and videos that the ABR staff posts as you are on the excavations... start discussions... ask questions... get connected!
(Participants that sign up for any week of excavations will receive $100 discount off the pre-dig or post-dig tour cost.)
Excavation / Tour Costs
1. Pre-Dig Tour: $1500 (check in Sat 5/14, tour Sun 5/15 AM to Sat 5/21 AM check out)
2. One Week: $1100 (any one week interval, Sun PM check in to Sat AM check out)
3. Two Weeks: $2100 (any two week interval, Sun PM check in to second Sat AM check out)
4. Three Weeks: $3000 (any three week interval, Sun PM check in to third Sat AM check out)
5. Four Weeks: $3800 (Sun 5/22 PM check in to Sat 6/18 AM check out)
6. Post-Dig Tour: $1750 (Sat 6/18 PM check in, tour Sun 6/19 to Mon 6/27 AM check out)
7. 5th Week -- Restoration Week: $650 (Mon 6/20 to Fri 6/24 AM check out)
These rates include: - Double or Triple occupancy (SINGLE ROOMS MUST BE REQUESTED AND ARE LIMITED -- extra $60 per night and must be approved in advance) - 3 meals a day (Lunch is ONLY included on Dig days, and not on weekends during the Dig season) - Transport by bus to and from the Dig - Evening education classes PARTICIPANTS ARE RESPONSIBLE OR THEIR OWN TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS, INCLUDING FLIGHTS AND TRANSPORT TO AND FROM THE AIRPORT ABR does not arrange group flights. In order to minimize costs, travelers make their own flgiht arrangements in order to find the best deals possible. Students MAY be able to find discounts at www.studentuniverse.com
A $500 per person deposit is due on a first come, first serve basis. We highly recommend sending in your deposit ASAP after you have completed your online registration to reserve your space. - Full payment is due APRIL 17, 2022 though we will take applications after that date ONLY if rooms are still available. - Some Dig participants may be asked to bring $300 US Dollars cash to Israel and submit to the ABR staff as their final payment (deducted from their total payment accordingly). Many of our expenses are only payable in cash, and transporting large volumes of cash overseas poses security risks. Check cashing in Israel has also become very difficult due to legal restrictions. Thus, having some diggers bring their final payments in cash resolves these problems. Thanks for understanding!
Additional Dig Costs:
Holy Land Weekend Touring During the Dig, three weekend trips will be made available to diggers. Park entrance fees, lunch, and bus and/or van costs are not included in package pricing above, but will be paid by participants while in Israel. The costs are very reasonable, about $50-$75 per day.
1. HIGH IMPORTANCE! Passport Immediately procure a passport from your country. If you already have one, the expiration date of the passport must extend SIX MONTHS BEYOND YOUR DEPARTURE DATE FROM ISRAEL. If you plan to stay for the post-dig tour or on your own, please be absolutely sure your passport postdates your last day in Israel by six months or YOU WILL NOT BE ADMITTED INTO THE COUNTRY!
No visa is required if you have a passport from an APPROVED country and are staying less than 90 days. If you have other plans or have a non-US passport, please visit the Israeli Embassy webiste.
Bring a clear photocopy of your passport in case you lose it. This will help in procuring a new one.
2. Traveler's and Health Insurance a. All travelers must purchase traveler's insurance in the event of a family emergency, illness, etc. ABR CANNOT GUARANTEE THE RECOVERY OF ANY MONIES PAID FOR THE TRIP! Be sure your insurance covers travel in the West Bank, which is where Shiloh is located.
b. All travelers MUST have Medical Insurance coverage for this trip. ABR cannot and will not be responsible in any way for any hospital or doctor visits or ambulance transport needed by travelers, whether the result of sickness or injury. To our knowledge, MEDICARE IS NOT ACCEPTED OUTSIDE THE US. All travelers must thoroughly document their medications, and provide family and doctor emergency contact information.
c. Medical Evacuation Insurance should be purchased as well, in case a traveler needs to be transported to US. Without insurance, this could cost more than $100,000.
3.Safety Safety is of primary importance on this excavation. Each year, the Israeli Antiquities Authority (or KAMAT) and the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) review the situation locally, and determine if it is safe for ABR to dig at the site. Our permit is not granted unless they are sure our site is safe. Shiloh is a national park and is enclosed, and is located along the main security road. The excavation is very safe.
4. Accomodations We will be staying at the AMBASSADOR HOTEL, located in downtown Jerusalem (Ambassador Hotel Nablus Road 5, Jerusalem. Phone: +972-2-541-2222). It is nestled in the heart of the commercial district, an enjoyable stroll to the Old City of Jerusalem with magnificent holy and historical sites, and is about 45 minutes from Shiloh. The hotel is within walking distance of the Old City, allowing volunteers to easily visit prominent historical and Biblical sites during off-time and weekends. You will easily be able to visit sites such as: the Temple Mount, Western Wall, City of David, Church of the Holy Sepulchre and many more.Transportation from Ben Gurion Airport to the Ambassador will be arranged by NET Tours. Details are TBA.
5. Internet Access Internet in the hotel is spotty at times. There is one public computer available for use. There is an ATM near the hotel. The rooms have safes.
6. Laundry a. Wash clothes by hand in bathtubs or sinks and then to hang out the clothes on the balcony (if the room has one). With this option, diggers should use detergent from Israel (US detergent does not work well with the Israeli water).
b. There is a laundry service right across the street from the hotel. A full load, washed and dried, is about $20. Diggers can drop off of their clothes after work and pick them up the next day after work.
7. Tax Deductibility The monies paid toward the Shiloh excavation are not considered a donation to ABR. However, because you are providing volunteer work for ABR, all expenses related to that work may be deductible as expenses of volunteer work for a non-profit ministry. This does not include any touring. If you live in the US, you will receive a receipt in the mail in the January following the dig. Please consult a tax professional for advice.
8. Please pray for the safety of the Dig team and the success of the Dig!
ABR fulfills its mission through memberships and generous donations from supporters.
Join us in our mission! No matter what your level of interest, from keeping abreast of the fascinating research that comes out of the field work, to actively participating in an archaeological dig, you can become an integral part of our ministry.