Archaeologists working at Al-Beheira, northwest of Cairo, have uncovered the remains of a fortress of Ramses II dating from 1279 to 1213 BC. Two buildings attached to the fortress were excavated, revealing storage silos and a residence for guards. The structures were both surrounded by a square mud-brick wall, and were separated by a rectangular courtyard. Within the buildings archaeologists discovered animal and fish bones, as well as pottery kilns and vessels. Experts have suggested that the ancient Egyptians would roast their grain to rid it of insects and moisture so that it would last longer in the silos. According to biblical chronology, Ramses II was a pharaoh who reigned during the period of the Judges, and not during the exodus as some have suggested.