The generosity of ABR supporters is truly refreshing to our spirit...
Dear ABR Friends,
In recent times I have been studying the way in which God provided the substance of support for Jesus and the Apostles in their ministry. And what at first seemed to be a dry study opened up into a number of important insights that shed light on just how God provides for His work in this world. Consider the text of Luke 8:1-3: 'Soon afterward he went on through cities and villages, proclaiming and bringing the good news of the kingdom of God. And the twelve were with him, and also some women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities: Mary, called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out, and Joanna, the wife of Chuza, Herod's household manager, and Susanna, and many others, who provided for them out of their means.' Paul writes of Phoebe, in Romans chapter 16:1, who 'has been a patron of many and of myself as well.' He writes in 1 Corinthians of Stephanus, Fortunatus, and Achaicus who had 'refreshed his spirit.' What we see in the New Testament is a beautiful pattern of God's people undergirding and supplying the needs of ministry under God's sovereign direction.
What was most interesting for me to ponder was the fact that Jesus, the Son of the Almighty, depended on the gifts of those touched by His ministry. Now one can get very 'spiritual' here and say that Jesus never depended on man for His ministry; and although that is ultimately true, what we see here is an example within the life and ministry of Jesus that I believe we are wise to emulate: God's people, under His sovereignty, called and active in providing the needs of God's work.
Now, this is not any earth-shattering news. But I mention these observations to illuminate the beautiful, biblical pattern of giving that I see in the lives of the supporters, the patrons (to use Paul's word) of ABR: Christians from across the U.S. and around the world who have followed the prompting of the Spirit to give to the ministry of ABR.
Why should you give to ABR?
- We proclaim the gospel without equivocation and with clarity
- ABR's impact is growing! Just this past month we blew away all previous records with over 43,000 visitors to our website!!
- Letter, after letter, after letter come pouring into ABR asking a myriad of questions about the Bible, theology, archaeology, and history; and thanks to the ABR Staff and Associates, all who write receive a personal response. And if there is a question we can't answer, we can point these seekers to other sound, partnering ministries with expertise and solid answers
- We affirm the truth and reliability of the Bible through our dig at Khirbet el-Maqatir, our research projects, and our ever-expanding list of articles, videos, and materials aimed at encouraging the faith of believers
What projects are we involved in?
- Our excavation at Khirbet el-Maqatir continues as teams of diggers will once again join us in uncovering evidence for the lost city of Ai
- New video projects are in the works! Thanks to Nathan William Media we will see a series of professionally produced videos featuring the staff of ABR
- We continue in our quest to create an archaeological curriculum, as much time, resources, and focus will be given to this project over the next few years
- Our in-depth biblical research continues as ABR Staff and Associates seek to unravel biblical and apologetic confusion and set the record straight when secularists and detractors distort the Bible
- Mark Cahill will be the keynote speaker at the ABR annual banquet on Thursday, April 25th in Lancaster, Pennsylvania; please come and join us if you're able!
These are exciting days for ABR! And we know that it is God that has been our provider and our helper as we have followed His call. We also know, the very providential and critical role that you have played in the sharing of your time, talent, and treasure to support ABR. And we would be so bold to ask you again to give at this time as we move into our busiest season of ministry ever!
Do you have questions about our current projects and programs? Please let us know so that we might share the progress and growth we are experiencing here at ABR. More than ever the Board and Staff of ABR recognize and profoundly appreciate the role you have played in moving ABR forward. And we thank you again for the help you can provide at this time.
Contending for the Truth,