"GO NOW TO MY PLACE THAT WAS IN SHILOH, WHERE I MADE MY NAME DWELL..." Jeremiah 7:12
The Shiloh Excavation is one of ABR’s most important research projects. The Tabernacle stood at Shiloh for 300 years, where the people of Israel gathered to worship. This is where the Ark of the Covenant resided! We have a number of core goals for the Shiloh dig:
- Investigate the location of the biblical tabernacle and any associated structures.
- Uncover evidence of the biblical sacrificial system.
- Understand daily life in Israel at the time of the Conquest and the period of the Judges.
- Introduce the new technologies of wet-sifting and computerization in the field.
- Equip students and volunteers with the knowledge and skills needed to scientifically excavate in the Land of the Bible.
- Build on the regional understanding of life in the Highlands of Israel gained by ABR's previous excavations at Khirbet Nisya (1979-2002) and Khirbet el-Maqatir (1995-2016).