***NEW Winter Dig 2022 Update! 10/13/21***
View Message Below
"GO NOW TO MY PLACE THAT WAS IN SHILOH, WHERE I MADE MY NAME DWELL..." Jeremiah 7:12
The Shiloh Excavation is one of ABR’s most important research projects. The Tabernacle stood at Shiloh for 300 years, where the people of Israel gathered to worship. This is where the Ark of the Covenant resided! We have a number of core goals for the Shiloh dig:
- Investigate the location of the biblical tabernacle and any associated structures.
- Uncover evidence of the biblical sacrificial system.
- Understand daily life in Israel at the time of the Conquest and the period of the Judges.
- Introduce the new technologies of wet-sifting and computerization in the field.
- Equip students and volunteers with the knowledge and skills needed to scientifically excavate in the Land of the Bible.
- Build on the regional understanding of life in the Highlands of Israel gained by ABR's previous excavations at Khirbet Nisya (1979-2002) and Khirbet el-Maqatir (1995-2016).
Based on the best information available, we are recommending the following for all volunteers for the January 2022 Season:
- 1. Purchase Flight and Trip Cancellation Insurance that will cover all your costs due to a COVID related (or other) cancellation.
- 2. If at all possible, travelers should attempt to travel together in groups of at least five persons, based on the most recent guidelines. Israel may lift this restriction (see below), but travelers assume all risks.
- 3. Travelers can coordinate with each other by initiating contact on the ABR Shiloh FaceBook page. The ABR staff can assist with connecting travelers, but is unable to coordinate and organize flights and travel for volunteers.
- 4. Flights regularly go out of Newark, NJ to Tel Aviv, so this may be a logical gathering point for groups in the US.
- 5. ABR will provide travel information that can be shown to the airport officials. NET Tours is assisting us with this.
- 6. Sometime between November 1 and 21, 2021 (off site link) there may be a change to Israel's policy which will allow individual foreign tourists to travel to Israel. In the meantime, we are advising volunteers who wish to book flights now to assume that the present restrictions will NOT be lifted.
- 7. Volunteers are responsible for abiding by all COVID related requirements set forth by the Israeli government
- MORE EXTERNAL NEWSLINKS:
ABR plans to conduct a Shiloh excavation this upcoming winter season for three weeks in January. While some details will have to be released after this initial announcement, the following link will provide current information for the Winter Dig: Shiloh Winter 2022 Excavations & Tours
May-June 2002 Shiloh Excavation Dates, as of October 13, 2021. More details will be announced in the coming weeks.
Pre Dig Tour: check in Sat 5/14. Tour Sunday 5/15 to Saturday 5/21.
Set Up day Sunday 5/22
Week One 5/23 to 5/27
Week Two 5/30 to 6/3
Week three 6/6 to 6/10
Week Four 6/13 to 6/17
Post Dig Tour Sunday 6/19 to Monday 6/27 AM check out
Week Five RESTORATION Monday 6/20 to Friday 6/24